How can Carpal Tunnel Syndrome be prevented ?
The incidence of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome has increased with the advent of computerisation and using keyboards. This is partly due to over-using of the wrist and fingers, which perform repetitive tasks, all day, and every day. All those working at computers should ensure that their wrists are well supported while they work.
Preventive methods recommended include:
1. Sleeping with your wrists held straight.
2. Keeping your wrists straight when using tools.
3. Avoiding flexing (curling) and extending your wrists repeatedly.
4. Decreasing repetitive/strong grasping with the wrist in a flexed position.
5. Taking frequent rest breaks from repetitive hand and wrist activities.
6. Performing stretching exercises before and after activities.